About Me

My photo
I am a West Virginia University alumni and a Mountaineer for life. After graduation I lived and worked in Baltimore, Maryland for 7 wonderful years. Recently we packed up our lives and moved to Michigan. Follow me on this adventure as I explore Michigan and see what's being made at my house.

Followers

Sunday, September 21, 2014

The Perfect Sugar Cookie


I don't have an outrageous sweet tooth, I don't swoon for chocolate, but I absolutely love to bake. I can remember baking apple pies with my mother one summer so frequently that we memorized the recipe. There is something very satisfying about creating something beautiful that brings consumable joy to others. Over the summer I love to use fresh ingredients and make seasonal treats. In other words, I save the heavy chocolate desserts for winter. Recently I made and mailed sugar cookies to a friend who said they were his favorite. They were received with thanks and satisfaction, but I realized I did not have a tried and true sugar cookie recipe. Years ago, when I first moved to Baltimore, we used to walk to Cross Street Market for a can of Coke and a sweet treat. Without fail I would always pick sugar cookies with a soft, chewy center and baked in sprinkles . So I turned to the internet to find a recipe to make my own perfect sugar cookie. Pinterest did not let me down, and soon linked me to a sprinkle loving blogger.

Sally's Baking Addiction is a great site for all things delicious. Sally has done the hard work for us by testing and re-testing her recipes and provides specific instructions and beautiful pictures. This recipe uses cream of tartar which gives the cookies a cake like consistency, similar to snicker doodle cookies.  I followed Sally's recipe almost exactly. She calls for a room temperature egg, which the first time I attempted I forgot about and had to throw away because it had spoiled. The next time I set a one hour timer and it was perfect. I did not want sprinkles inside the cookies and instead just rolled the top of the dough in sprinkles before chilling. Next time I will double the recipe because these little babies are delicious!

Soft Baked Funfetti Sugar Cookies
Sugar Cookie Chilled Dough 
(Recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
sprinkles

In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter for about one minute on medium speed. Add the sugar until fluffy and light in color. Mix in the egg and vanilla until fully blended.

In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cream of tartar. (I recommend sifting these items together to avoid clumping.) Blend into the wet mixture in three parts on low speed. The dough will be thick and may need to be combined with a spoon by hand. (At this point, if you want sprinkles inside the cookies, gently fold 1/2 cup of sprinkles into dough.)

The Perfect Sugar Cookie
Scoop about 2 tablespoons worth of dough out of the bowl and roll into tall discs. Dip in sprinkles to coat and place on a lined baking sheet. Place cookies in the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours or up to 48 hours. (You can also freeze cookies once the discs have rested in the refrigerator.) When ready for baking, preheat the oven to 350 degree. Bake refrigerated dough for 8 minutes* (cookies will appear undercooked). Allow to cool on cookie sheet for 3 minutes before moving to wire racks to cool. Cookies stay soft and fresh and room temperature for upto 1 week. (Though if they last that long at your house you may have done something wrong!) Enjoy.

*I am currently using an electric over which I have learned takes longer to cook that recipes typically call for. I baked the cookies for 9 and a half minutes instead. Use your best judgement and know your kitchen.

1 comment: