About Me

My photo
I am a West Virginia University alumni and a Mountaineer for life. After graduation I lived and worked in Baltimore, Maryland for 7 wonderful years. Recently we packed up our lives and moved to Michigan. Follow me on this adventure as I explore Michigan and see what's being made at my house.

Followers

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Halloween Bark


Tonight I am off to meet with a wonderful group of women to chat and chew and meet new people. We do this every other month and I have come to enjoy not only the company but an opportunity to try a new recipe. My reputation as a baker has spread and I am always asked to bring a dessert, a task I take very seriously. For tonight I wanted to try a few new fall recipes. The first is something I found on Pinterest a few days ago from Wishes and Dishes, a simple Halloween Bark. For anyone looking to bring a dessert to a party with little to no baking skills or time, this is the perfect choice. You can customize the ingredients, taylor the colors and creativity and the basic steps are all the same. 

Halloween Bark (adapted from Wishes and Dishes)
Halloween Bark
1 bag (16 oz.) white chocolate chips
1/2 cup candy corn
1/4 cup pretzel sticks (broken up)
1/8 cup mini chocolate chips

Melt the white chocolate in a double boiler or the microwave until completely smooth. Pour the melted chocolate onto a non-stick surface such as a slip mat or wax paper. Spread evenly using an offset spatula. Quickly drop the candy corn pretzels and mini chips onto the white chocolate and press down gently. Place in the freezer to set for 15 minutes. Remove and break apart to serve. Pieces can be kept in the refrigerator for unto 2 weeks. 

Lessons Learned and Advice
Double Boiling Tips
  • The chocolate melting is the trickiest part of this recipe. I don't own a double boiler so I used a metal bowl on top of a saucepan. Add water to cover 1/3 of the saucepan. Allow the water in the saucepan to heat up on a medium-low setting. A high temperature is more likely to burn the chocolate causing it to seize. Do not separate the two bowls during melting, if any steam gets into the chocolate it will seize. Since you are slow melting the chocolate expect it to be very chunky at first. It will smooth, just keep string and don't overheat it. 
  • I'm sorry I don't have pictures of the toppings part of this recipe. The chocolate sets quickly so you have to add the topping and press down quite fast. 
  • Bark Toppings
  • You can see from the pictures that I go a little topping crazy. Some fall off during freezing because there isn't enough surface area but I couldn't resist!

No comments:

Post a Comment