About Me

My photo
I am a West Virginia University alumni and a Mountaineer for life. After graduation I lived and worked in Baltimore, Maryland for 7 wonderful years. Recently we packed up our lives and moved to Michigan. Follow me on this adventure as I explore Michigan and see what's being made at my house.

Followers

Thursday, October 9, 2014

One Pot Pasta


I may have mentioned that I truly love to cook, what I bet I didn't mention is that I hate doing dishes. For years I have found ways to cut corners and dirty as little prep dishes as possible. This is just one of the many reasons I'm so thrilled for the one pot cooking movement that's beginning to take shape. Martha Stewart recently released a one pot cookbook that I have already added to my Amazon wish list. And when I found this recipe on Everyday-Reading I was excited to try a delicious recipe with minimal clean up. It was a smashing success!

Creamy Spinach Tortellini (adapted from Everyday-Reading)
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lb smoked sausage (optional, see below)
2 14oz cans fire roasted tomatoes
1/2 cup half and half
10 oz Tortellini
2-3 cups spinach

In a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Add the sausage to brown if using meat. Add the minced garlic. Add the cans of tomatoes then the half and half. Stir and allow to simmer. Add the tortellini and cover to cook about 10 minutes, or until tender. Add the spinach and toss lightly. Salt and pepper to taste.

Lessons Learned and Advice:

  • I skipped the meat entirely and the meal was delicious and filling without it. 
  • When I added the tomatoes I left them as it. If you want a smoother meal you can put the in a food processor first or use an immersion blender. 
  • I try to cut down on lactose whenever possible so I substituted the half and half for lactose free milk. It still made the dish creamy and you could not notice a taste change. 
  • This recipe can easily be halved for a smaller serving. 


No comments:

Post a Comment